Relevant for: Hardlines
On 21 February 2014, the European Commission (EC) published the "Union Guidelines on (EU) No 10/2011 on plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with food".
This Guidance document is part of a series of documents to provide guidance on the application of the “Plastics Regulation”, Regulation (EU) No 10/2011. The series covers this guidance document, guidance on migration testing (in preparation), guidance on migration modeling and guidance on information in the supply chain.
This Guidance document covers the general aspects of the Plastics Regulation and is structured in the same manner as the Regulation itself. It contains in particular:
- Explanations on what is covered by the Plastics Regulation and what is not
- Definitions of terms that are relevant in the context of food contact materials and articles
- Function categories of additives and polymer production aids
- Explanations on which substances are included in the Union List
- Explanations on why substances are exempted from inclusion in the Union List and the applicable provisions for these substances
- Status of biocides in plastic food contact materials and articles
- Explanations on dual use additives and an indicative list of dual use additives
- Explanations on the transitional provisions