TÜV SÜD America Increases Consumer Goods & Retail Certification Test Activities
TÜV SÜD America is pleased to announce added investment and increasedengineering expertise with the certification of playground equipment and surfacing for the InternationalPlay Equipment Manufacturers Association (IPEMA), bunk beds, safety eyewear, sports equipment, andjuvenile products, permitting manufacturers to obtain CPSIA and IPEMA certifications. Globally, the TÜVSÜD Group, with its more than 600 locations and over 15,000 employees, is able to test, inspect, andcertify children's products to regulatory requirements wherever these products are produced worldwide.Since the passing of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA), TÜV SÜD has beenhelping manufacturers issue General Certificates of Compliance (GCC) at its facilities in Bangalore,Shanghai, Munich, Hong Kong, and now Plymouth, Michigan.
"In today's global market, the number of electronic and conventional toys arriving on the market israpidly increasing. As the overall safety of toys and their use comes under closer scrutiny, certificationand compliance to safety standards from an independent third-party organization becomes immenselybeneficial," states Mr. Karsten Xander, CEO and President, TÜV SÜD America. "TÜV SÜD Americacan serve manufacturers and retailers alike on complete performance testing for consumer goods,including children's products, Softlines, Hardlines, Electrical testing and more, to help differentiate theirproducts and enhance their company's brand. The TÜV SÜD octagon demonstrates a product hasbeen tested and certified by a globally recognized, independent third-party testing and certificationorganization," continued Mr. Xander.
TÜV SÜD's global certification and testing capabilities include:
- Children's playground equipment (IPEMA) and all European standards
- Children's products (16 C.F.R Part 1203 (bicycle helmets)
- Children's furniture (16 C.F.R. Part 1508 & 1509 (cribs)
- Children's ride-on vehicles (FCC & NRTL)
- Battery-powered toys (FCC & NRTL)
- Infant Care articles (16 C.F.R. Part 1510 (rattles), 16 C.F.R. Part 1511 (pacifiers)
- Conventional toys (16 CFR Part 1501)
- Chemical composition (16 C.F.R Part 1303 (lead paint), CPSC-CH-E1001-08, CPSC-CHE1002-08)
In the interest of public safety, IPEMA provides third-party Product Certification services for U.S. andCanadian public play equipment and U.S. public play surfacing materials. The services providevalidation of a participant's certification of conformance to one of the standards referenced below. Bothprograms are administered by TÜV SÜD America.
- ASTM F1487-07 - Standard Consumer Safety Performance Specification for PlaygroundEquipment for Public Use
- CAN/CSA-Z614-07 - Children's Playspaces and Equipment
- ASTM F1292-04 - Standard Specification for Impact Attenuation of Surface Systems Under andAround Playground Equipment
- ASTM F2075-04- Standard Specification for Engineered Wood Fiber for Use as a PlaygroundSafety Surface Under and Around Playground Equipment
"With the high profile recalls in 2007 and 2008 leading to passage of the Consumer Product SafetyImprovement Act (CPSIA), the Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA) resolved to adopt a moreproactive stance on product safety," adds Mr. Scott Griggs, General Manager, Consumer RetailServices, TÜV SÜD America. "TÜV SÜD is an expert in product safety and compliance, and isrecognized as a leader in RILA / BRC audits for factories producing Children's Products. Retailers willbegin auditing these factories in late 2010, and TÜV SÜD will continue at the forefront of these efforts.We are excited to provide more value for our customers and potential customers," concluded Mr.Griggs.
For more information on testing, RILA/BRC inspections, or certification services for Children's products,visit www.tuvamerica.com/industry/consumer/toys/northamerica.cfm or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact: Carmen Hopwood