TÜV SÜD Dunbar Boardman lift renewal project for HS1 at Ashford International
The Team (Left to Right): Paul Mcllroy - Algi, Harald Giehl - Algi, Mark Arcari - Mitie, Adrian Tonelli - Mitie, Tony Howell-Smith - Target Lifts, Daniel Wickens - TÜV SÜD Dunbar Boardman, Tim Garrett –Station Manager, David O’Brien – Safeline, Andrew Ellis – HS1, Danny Garaway – Target Lifts, Adam Higgins – Target Lifts Tester, Mark Rowland – ILE, Mike Turner – Lester Controls, Phillip McDonnell - ILE.
Ashford International, a key railway station on High Speed 1 is now the beneficiary of seven recently refurbished lifts designed by TÜV SÜD Dunbar Boardman.
The project, which involved a 5-month tender process, began in July 2016 with the contract being awarded to Target Lifts Ltd in January of 2017.
TÜV SÜD Dunbar Boardman working closely with Target Lifts, were able to implement best practice and provide a programme of works that took into consideration the challenging working environment.
The seven lifts include two located ‘back of house’ and two serving the station’s busy car parking facilities. The full specification comprised:
• One 46 Person (3450 kg) Passenger Lift serving the Main Concourse and Eurostar (3 floors travelling at 0.44 m/s).
• One 41 Person (3075 kg) Passenger Lift serving the Main Concourse and Eurostar (2 floors travelling at 0.5 m/s).
• One 36 Person (2700 kg) Passenger Lift serving the Eurostar Platform (3 floors travelling at 0.5 m/s).
• Two 33 Person (2600 kg) Passenger Lift serving the Multi-Storey Car Park (6 floors travelling at 0.5 m/s).
• Two 15 Person (1125 kg) Passenger Lift serving the Back of House Office Complex (2 floors travelling at 0.5 m/s).
The Scope of Works on each of the above lifts was:
• New Pump Units.
• New Control Panels.
• Replacement Ram Neck and Transportation Seals.
• New Car and Landing Door Equipment.
• New Car Interiors.
• New Communications System.
• New Car and Landing Pushbuttons and Indicators.
Work began late March 2017 with the objectives of increasing the station’s customer experience and increasing footfall through this vital station on the UK’s High-Speed network.
TÜV SÜD Dunbar Boardman and the project management team, managed to keep the project ‘on track’. Based on the strict performance criteria provided, a comprehensive evaluation of the marketplace to select the most appropriate equipment for the varied applications. Efficiency, reliability, value and a proven ability to provide rapid UK based support were key factors in deciding on the Team Partner Suppliers.
TÜV SÜD Dunbar Boardman strived to provide the best quality work in accordance with the customer’s requirements in addition to offering exceptional service. Their management team have over 100 years of combined experience in the lift industry, which drives a continual improvement culture within the business.