Scottish Property Awards Finalist 2019 - Development of the Year (Public Buildings)
Ballater Station, also known as the Old Royal Station was originally built in 1866 so that Queen Victoria could commute to nearby Balmoral Castle. In the 1960’s the station closed and has since been used as an visitor attraction up to May 2015 when the building was engulfed by fire and extensively damaged. In response, HRH The Duke of Rothesay’s Charity, The Princes Foundation initiated an extensive restoration plan and the B-listed building underwent an extensive rebuild and refurbishment to restore the building. The building was provided with an extension over the existing platform and provided space for a visitor centre, exhibition area, library and Scottish tearoom/bistro. As part of the restoration the former Queen Victoria waiting room was fully restored and the Royal carriage has been displayed.
Through our framework with Aberdeenshire Council TÜV SÜD had an integral role in the refurbishment of the B-listed building through the design and integration of the MEP systems in to the building, ensuring compliance with current Building Standards and energy requirements.