The European Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS) is a management tool developed to equip organisations with the ability to assess, manage and consistently improve their environmental performance. Based on the EU regulation (EC) No. 1221/2009, EMAS is applicable to all organisations across various markets and industries inside and outside the EU. At its core is the international eco-management standard, ISO 14001. Effectively, organisations with the EMAS certification will also automatically qualify for the ISO 14001 standard. However, EMAS covers additional requirements not covered by the ISO 14001 standard. These requirements are listed below:
- Credibility: implementation of EMAS is assessed by qualified and independent environmental auditors, also known as verifiers.
- Transparency: through periodic reporting of the business’ environmental performance. The reports must be verified and validated by an environmental verifier.
- Continuous improvement process: by committing to continually improve on actual environmental performance, which has to be verified as well.
- Compliance: by fully complying with the relevant and applicable environmental legislations.
- Stakeholder agreement: by involving all stakeholders in order to benefit from their commitment, ideas, experiences and expertise.
The adoption of EMAS allows the company to commit to a long-term goal. To achieve this goal, the decision makers of the company will have many considerations, including the strategy and direction the company will take, the best way to build a decision-making process, and measures to identify and minimise varying levels of risks such as non-compliance with the environmental legislation.
Within TÜV SÜD, internationally accredited certification bodies offer services for various management systems. We have extensive experience in auditing and certifying a wide range of internationally recognised management systems. Our experienced team of global experts will guide you through the process, from on-site audits to certification. TÜV SÜD Umweltgutachter GmbH is an accredited organisation of environmental verifiers offering certifications such as EMAS on an international scale. We will help you identify opportunities and minimise potential risks. By being your partner, your company’s commitment to the safest standards will gain global recognition. Beyond certification, we will also provide you with periodic feedbacks on the most effective ways to improve your environmental performance.