Testing of luminaires and light fixtures generally falls into one of several categories, as follow:
- Performance - Performance testing for luminaires is typically related to energy efficiency. Specific tests are usually defined by voluntary energy efficiency programs, such as ENERGY STAR, LED Lighting Facts and Design Light Consortium in the U.S., and the Ecolabel Program in the European Union (EU), as well as the energy performance requirements in the EU’s ErP Directive.
- Safety - Electrical safety testing of luminaires addresses potential shock and fire hazards, and follows the requirements of IEC 60598. Luminaires may also be subject to testing as specified in IEC 62471 which addresses photobiological safety of lamps and lamp systems.
- Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) - EMC testing evaluates the amount of electromagnetic interference generated by a device and the extent to which a device is susceptible to electromagnetic interference from other devices. Specific requirements are covered in the U.S. by Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Part 15, the EN 55015 standard in the EU, and various IEC standards elsewhere in the world.
Certain tests, such as those addressing the electrical and photobiological safety and electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) of luminaires, are generally required for access to major markets, including the U.S. and the European Union (EU). In addition, demonstrated compliance with the requirements of voluntary schemes, such as the U.S. ENERGY STAR program, are important for acceptance by utilities, retailers and consumers, and can provide manufacturers of luminaires with a critical competitive advantage.
TÜV SÜD offers a comprehensive suite of testing, certification and advisory services on the regulations, standards and voluntary energy efficiency programs applicable to luminaires used in residential, commercial and industrial environments, including fluorescent lamp fixtures and ballasts, LED fixtures and lamp drivers and halogen lamp fixtures. TÜV SÜD technical experts can also assist in product design and development, quality testing, environmental certification and transport monitoring, as well as provide customized services in support of global supply chain activities. The TÜV SÜD blue octagon certification mark is globally recognized as a symbol of product safety.
TÜV SÜD services for luminaires and other lighting products include:
TÜV SÜD testing laboratories are equipped to conduct specific tests consistent with the requirements of all applicable standards and voluntary schemes, such as:
- Luminous flux [lm]
- Lamp lumen maintenance factor (LLMF)
- Lamp warm-up time
- Correlated colour temperature in steady state condition and x, y coordinates in the CIE 1931 chromaticity diagram
- Variations in colour temperature
- Colour temperature vs. time
- Lamp flux
- Power factor (ratio of active power to apparent power)
- Determination of the energy efficiency class
- Lamp survival factor (LSF)
- RA Index
We offer the following certification services for luminaires and other lighting products.
- EU CE Mark - The product passport to the EU market
- IECEE CB Scheme report - As a CB Scheme recognised laboratory, TÜV SÜD is able to provide manufacturers with CB reports, which can be converted into national certification of many countries
- GS Mark - The Geprüfte Sicherheit mark is a German safety certification mark, it is widely recognized in Germany, Europe and across the world
- TÜV SÜD EMC Mark - TÜV SÜD electro-magnetic compatibility certification mark, indicates that the product's compliance to electromagnetic requirements have been tested and its manufacturing processes have been strictly evaluated by TÜV SÜD
- TÜV SÜD ErP Mark - TÜV SÜD ErP instruction certification mark, indicates that the product’s compliance to ErP instructions requirements have been met and manufacturing processes have been strictly appraised by TÜV SÜD
- Australian C-Tick - Certification of electromagnetic compatibility for Australia and New Zealand
- Japan PSE Mark - A mandatory mark required by all electronic appliances and materials that are sold in Japan
|Other requirements |
We can offer testing in support of all other international regulations and standards for luminaires and other lighting products.
TÜV SÜD is a leading provider of comprehensive testing and certification services for electrical and lighting products. Our global network of technical experts, combined with our state-of-the-art testing laboratories, assure a single source solution for meeting all applicable requirements, standards and voluntary schemes. And TÜV SÜD technical professionals are actively involved in international advisory boards and standards development activities, ensuring the most up-to-date knowledge of current and changing requirements.
Represented in over 800 locations worldwide, TÜV SÜD has an unsurpassed track record of meeting and exceeding the requirements and expectations of our client companies. The TÜV SÜD brand and our distinctive blue octagon mark are instantly recognised around the globe as symbols of quality and safety, and will increase customer confidence in your brand.